Planetary health challenges are deeply urgent; with these resources in-hand, you, as planetary health clinicians, citizens, and trusted messengers of health information, can make a difference at your next point of care.
- COVID-19 and planetary health: The following are resources to help place COVID-19 in it's broader planetary health context. For a compilation of general public health information and peer-reviewed academic resources related to the novel coronavirus, please visit the COVID-19 Resource Platform, co-developed by Planetary Health Regional Hub coordinators in Northern Europe and Eastern Africa; from there you can explore top up-to-date databases such as WHO, NCBI/NLM, and The Lancet, which recently sent out A Call for Papers on the Planetary Health Perspective of COVID-19.
- We recommend reading the following articles to learn more about why COVID-19 is just the "Tip of the Iceberg" (The Guardian) and the "First of Many Pandemics to Come" (The Independent UK) if we continue the systematic destruction of Earth's natural systems; along with blog post by PHA Director, Dr. Sam Myers, about "Hope and Action in Times of Emergencies," which has been excerpted from the PHA's March newsletter and also translated into Spanish, and this letter of gratitude for frontline planetary health clinicians from the #C4PH team: "Community in a Time of Covid-19."
- Understanding planetary health: Planetary health focuses on understanding and addressing the intersections between global environmental change and human health and well-being. Learn more about the health impacts of large-scale biodiversity loss, climate change, deforestation and land degradation, resource scarcity, changing biogeochemical flows, and pollution. The video below, Planetary Health: The Future is Now, also delivers a helpful primer on planetary health that can be shared widely.
- Calling family doctors to action: On Earth Day 2019, the World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA) distributed this declaration urging family doctors to understand the health risks of global environmental change and key opportunities for intervention. A general version for all clinicians can be viewed here.
- Calling nurses to action: Planetary Health Alliance Director Dr. Sam Myers delivered this year's commencement address at the University of Minnesota School of Nursing. Watch the recording to learn more about why nurses have a powerful role to play in advancing change, and stay tuned for the official 2020 launch of Nurses Drawdown co-led by Chair of C4PH, Dr. Teddie Potter.
- Communicating and taking action on climate and health: A key aspect of planetary health is our changing climate and its resultant health effects. ecoAmerica's Climate for Health program has created several useful guides at this intersection, including Moving Forward: A Guide for Health Professionals to Build Momentum on Climate Action (2019) and Let's Talk Climate and Health (2018), which synthesizes the latest academic research and message-testing on climate communications into a practical guide for health professionals.
- Healthcare sustainability: This free online toolkit, created by the Royal College of General Practitioners, is designed to help general practices to become more efficient and improve sustainability and environmental impact. The practice management tool MyGreenDoctor.org is another helpful resource to green your medical practice.
- Physician perspectives: The book Enviromedics, written from the perspective of two physicians, helps readers understand the threats of environmental change to human health. Also, by signing up below, you will receive our quarterly C4PH newsletter, which regularly features podcasts and stories from physicians, healthcare practitioners, and other healers who employ planetary health concepts in their practice.
We encourage you to share these resources with your own communities, to learn more about the work of Clinicians for Planetary Health (C4PH) partner organizations, and to join the C4PH initiative with your colleagues.
Something to add?
Email email@example.com with the subject: Clinicians Resources